Wednesday, March 14, 2012

smoke lift

Curse you graham crackers!
You ruined my nearly perfect food day...
who does that?
Who wakes up cursing graham crackers? ....from yesterday?
Apparently, a lot of people.
Today, Sarah.  Today.
__________________________________________________________________
smokestack painting from 1st year in art school
Today I woke up with a 3-month-fresh head of red hair nestled into my armpit.
His hands up over his head, breathing soft as ocean mist.
And I have to admit, for a second, I felt a pit sink in my gut.
He is my last baby.
I gave away all my pregnant clothes.
I told everyone that I was done.  And I am.  I have to be.  The husband is "fixed."
Yet there it is...the ache.
I feel this ache whenever a period of my life ends.

When I move from an apartment, and stand in it's clean, bare center after all the scrubbing is done.
I kneel down and thank Grace for the times I've had in it.
When Jeff and I moved from the cabin in Big Cottonwood Canyon, we cried in the doorway together.
Not sobbing. Just an awareness of tears in both of our eyes, and a huge welling wave that pushed us out to the next landing place.
I am a preschooler hanging onto Mom's skirt, burying my face in it, begging her to stay.

We cannot stay like this.
I'm afraid for my family to grow up.
I dropped off my sister yesterday at the hotel where she lives.
She lives there, and she's addicted to drugs.
We used to be little.  I used to sleep in the same bed as her.
Share clothes with her.  I can picture her eyes when she is listening to me.
She'd chase me, wild as a cat on fire, and try to punch me with all her rage when I'd tease.

Nothing hurts more than watching her walk into that hotel alone.
She says goodbye in her chipper voice, but it flakes away in the wind.
This is adulthood.  Not for everyone.  But for us.
And I wish I could pack her into the mini-van with the rest of the kids.  I'd take her home.
Make her some french toast and set her on the couch to watch Mary Poppins.
Instead, I drive home with that ache and watch the steam rise from refineries along the freeway.



No comments:

Post a Comment