Thursday, August 28, 2014

my prayer part 1

This may be the first morning I have sat down without going first to Facebook, the News, E-mail, and back to Facebook.
I read my post from yesterday.  I was reminded of prayer, of muses and intent.
Now here I am watching the movie of yesterday played back to me.
I see Sophie at sunset.
We are sitting on the sidewalk side by side with legs stretched straight out in front.
My feet are crossed at the ankles.  I see the bulge of my left ankle.  The one I keep rolling when I go running. The damn thing just won't heal, but I run anyway.  My toenails are painted coral pink.
She is wearing blue jeans and boots.  Her leotard shows through her shirt at the neck.
As usual, her ponytail will not behave. It looks like a kitten went rooting through it in search of a mouse.  She has the eyes of her father, rich lashes and a brown so deep it could lead straight to her heart.  She is copper and amber and chocolate.


She wanders away to snap photos of sunflowers with orange light behind them.
My head lops to the side and I smile at her.
We have so little time left, she and I.  Soon there will be hardly any little kid left in her at all.
I already see it being replaced with adult mind.  The type of consciousness concerned with responsibility.
I see it when she packs her lunch for school without my help.  With assertive swipes, she chops vegetables using the biggest knife.  I see it when she rolls her eyes at her younger siblings.  I see it when she walks briskly from the shower, one towel around her body, one tightly wound in her hair.  

Grace please help me remember to go slow
for it is only when life slows down that I see the details 
It is the details which tell the story

Grace please help me remember - I am not inventing anything.
I am merely a witness who records what she sees.
Help me honor what I see by writing it down.

This is the prayer so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment