Sunday, May 19, 2013

Google dispels ghosts

Sophie just woke me up at 5 am.
Sophie 2006
"Mom, I have this really bad pain in my side."

I jolt up like a piece of bread from a toaster.
Appenidicitus.  Can kids get appendicitus?  Get the iphone and Google...

I don't show her this mental panic though.  I caress her head and gently lead her to a hot bath.  I turn off the sharp lights and light an orange scented candle for her.  Then I squat on the toilet seat and Google appendicitus in children. It is most common in children over 10 years old.  She will be 11 in 3 months.  It could be, let's relax.  She tells me it is a "pulling" pain.  It could be muscle soreness.  She is a gymnast and spends 16 hours a week flipping, stretching and crashing.  It could be that.

After 15 minutes she tells me it doesn't hurt anymore.  I help her get dressed and put her back to bed.

Lately more than ever, it seems there is aways something.  I deal with strep-throat, teething, boy-crushes, forgotten homework, abscessed teeth....tooth extractions, and we have $7 dollars left until Friday.  This means the kids will be eating cereal, pancakes, ramen noodles, and My Little Pony fruit snacks.  I cannot afford to have a rigid ideal.  I need to flow with the other 4 lives in my family.  I don't have to.  I want to.

How exhausted would I be if I HAD to exercise and eat as I did 5 years ago?
My list of acceptable foods was maybe 15 items long.  I was not allowed to skip runs.  Exercise was necessary to allow myself to eat.

Now I am loose with all of it.  When I feel that quick tightening, I remind myself, this is all a gift.

When Sophie came in with the ghost of appendicitus on her shoulder, I thought,
Well, I guess maybe I'm not running this morning.
Now it seems perhaps it was just a ghost, and I am free for the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment